Logo
  Saturday, September 28, 2024
Sign-In  |  Sign-Up  |  Contact Us  |  Bookmark 

iPad GPS   
Will Apple iPad have GPS capabilities? I would like to know since it can be used like GPS navigator :)

Post Response 
garry.j.miletich
01/29/2010
01:04:38 PM
iPad with GPS capabilities would be nice
If Apple has AT&T as iPad cell provider and GPS maps enabled for free then it would be an extra selling point. Right now you have to have a hook up for all of the latest laptops and by opening up GPS for iPad Apple can gain considerable market share.

alex
01/31/2010
03:13:45 PM
GPS chip is built in Reply to garry.j.miletich's post dated 1/29/2010 1:04:38 PM
Hi, here is a link to a site that talks about GPS for iPad a little bit more. You can read at http://news.gpsfaq.com/details.aspx?item=645

garry-peters
02/02/2010
10:17:33 AM
iPad GPS capabilities
There are several important navigational features that iPad has

1. Assisted GPS (Wi-Fi + 3G model)
2. Digital compass
3. Wi-Fi
4. Cellular (Wi-Fi + 3G model)

Terry Parker
02/19/2010
07:39:40 PM
iPad GPS & Marine Navigation
The iPad with real GPS would be a formidable product for marine navigation. There are already a number of marine navigation apps for the iPhone. The best are iNavX and Navionics Gold. Both work very well on the iPhone but will be awesome on the iPad because the larger screen size will be very helpful. It will be a serious competitor for the relatively dumb and expensive chart plotters. If Otterbox produces a tough waterproof enclosure, this could clean up in recreational boating. Even if there is no real GPS in the iPad, there are a number of bluetooth GPS receivers available. WIth the Wifi and 3G version, it could be a great interactive repeater for below decks computer navigation acting as a touch screen repeater for the navigation station computer. If Otterbox could provide the waterproof case with a waterproof 12v charging plug..........

Glen
03/04/2010
07:08:41 PM
Why do you want iPad GPS Reply to Terry Parker's post dated 2/19/2010 7:39:40 PM
I don't understand why would you want iPad GPS. iPad is to big to hold it while walking of installing on inside the car while driving. I don't think iPad GPS such a good idea.

Leeny
03/05/2010
01:51:36 PM
iPad GPS to use iPhone GPS capabilities
iPad GPS will have nothing different than iPhone GPS. It is the same software so nothing new you'll find when iPad is released.

Gabby
03/08/2010
01:01:57 PM
iPad will have GPS
I saw it on TV. Apple advertised iPad with the GPS application whcih is very similar to iPhone GPS.

Angela
03/13/2010
10:39:44 AM
iPad GPS capabilities
Apple iPad is surely have GPS capabilities as it is almost a requirement for any new electonic device to have one. GPS chip is very small and can fit even in thin iPad. Google maps if another good addition to iPad GPS capabilities as it gives you street views as well as standard mapping view.

galyaTMX
03/17/2010
10:14:49 AM
I bought iPad with GPS enabled Reply to Angela's post dated 3/13/2010 10:39:44 AM
I just got my and can confirm that GPS is on this iPad :) I am really happy to get iPad its new and shiny :)

liriks
04/15/2010
11:37:49 PM
iPad GPS is built in
iPad has built in GPS chipset. I think it is used over the cell network not actual GPS, but I am not sure...

likes2fly
04/18/2010
11:59:30 AM
ipad gps
If the satilite gps is built in then its not working. It will work off of wifi,it located my house while on my wifi network. I've had my ipad runing off my mywi on my iphone and it will actualy update my location while driving but not accurate and very slow to update. not useable.If you are not sure what mywi is then its a program for jailbroken iphones that uses your 3g network interenet and rebroad cast it via wifi. anyone around you can log on and use your 3g network as a wifi spot. I have a bluetooth gps and the ipad will not reconize it but i'm sure when the ipad is jailbroken that there will be a way to
hook bluetooth gps to the ipad.

smartyd
04/30/2010
02:58:06 PM
Reply to Why do you want iPad GPS Reply to Glen's post dated 3/4/2010 7:08:41 PM
Its a brilliant idea for us in General Aviation. A GPS unit for flying the size of the ipad costs around £1200. I currently use a small black and white garmin which cost as much as the ipad. I've started to use my laptop as the display is much larger which allows full use of aviation maps.
If the ipad is accurate then its an extremely cheap way of backing up our navigation when compbined with aviation maps which can only lead to safer flying

Jordan
05/01/2010
07:04:50 PM
iPAD GPS Reply to smartyd's post dated 4/30/2010 2:58:06 PM
wHO CARS ABOUT CAR USE.....IPAD FOR MARINE & AVIATION

Jason
05/11/2010
02:39:19 PM
iPad GPS Reply to Glen's post dated 3/4/2010 7:08:41 PM
It would be terrific as a VFR device in a cockpit.

liriks
06/16/2010
11:44:07 AM
iPad has solid GPS capabilities
I am not sure what people say but my iPad has GPS in it and it is pretty accurate as far as I can see and compare it to other GPS enabled devices...

sweeny.garmet
06/25/2010
05:02:17 PM
iPad GPS has features that I like
iPad did a good job improving user epxerience when it comes to navigation with the help of GPS. I purchased it one month ago and can say that GPS is worthy addition to iPad.

sammy.farha
07/12/2010
04:40:18 PM
Several good source for iPad GPS information Reply to sweeny.garmet's post dated 6/25/2010 5:02:17 PM
I agree with most of the people on this board. iPad is providing us with good GPS capabilities. However information about GPS is not very well covered by the press or other sites. I was looking for some of the online sources here is a list of site I think is good in this respect.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/motionx-gps/id299949744?mt=8
http://www.ipadsreview.com/about.aspx?detail=ipad-a1219
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/motionx-gps-drive-hd/id367898276?mt=8

08/18/2010
12:50:33 AM
Reply to Glen's post dated 3/4/2010 7:08:41 PM
The entire Aviation and Marine industry could use the Ipad with Gps and it would save us thousands of dollars

Alfred
10/11/2010
04:29:54 AM
new GPS in the car
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/344721876-7-pocket-pc-with-3Gwifi-3d-android-2-1-wholesalers.html

mobiper
10/12/2010
05:47:03 AM
mobiper.com
As long as we all keep using mobile phones, there will always be situations where you will be looking for how to trace a mobile phone number.

Thanks
www.mobiper.com

qpec
10/14/2010
07:38:22 AM
GPS
I have got new GPS in my car, its amazing with latest WIFI technology. Reliable one, got it from chinabuye. I planned to get from Aliexpress from their site. But my friend told me she returned it back and refunded. Not sure about it.

ashiqur
10/29/2010
04:28:11 PM
Hello

I would like to thanks for introduce about your problem. I have read this thread and also see the reply that I have some experience to buy online product. I can give you better advice that If you want to buy electronics product and also other different type of product that what do you want than you can easily find this supplier the name of ChinaBuye . This company I have good experience to buy different type game accessories from chinabuye client. if you want to pay online via paypal you can buy on this option.

thanks

O'Ren
11/10/2010
01:54:23 AM
Perfect for Bikers - Drivers Reply to ashiqur's post dated 10/29/2010 4:28:11 PM
I use my iPad as a GPS device for my motorcycle. I put it in the top map pocket of my tank bag and there I have not only a perfect GPS device but a huge screen too with all the right options. It talks to me via the iPad bluetooth connected to my intercom device in my Helmet.

I use a TOMTOM or PAPAGO app for the GPS functionality.

I do not need a 3G data plan, nor wifi. As a matter of fact, my iPad DOES NOT HAVE A SIM CARD in it ! It works flawlessly.

So why use the iPad as a GPS you ask ?
- cheaper
- bigger screen
- all the GPS functionality
- All in one device for traveling: gps, photos, internet browsing, music and videos etc..
- Very easy to manipulate with the big touch screen

Jimmy
11/29/2010
11:53:01 AM
iPAD GPS Reply to O'Ren's post dated 11/10/2010 1:54:23 AM
Does anyone know if there is a difference between the US and European iPADs? The European help line just told me definitively that there is no GPS connection if I buy an iPAD, and I would have to get a 3g data connection to make a GPS app work...

Cheers

KKrumm
01/27/2011
02:57:46 PM
Ipad Gps Reply to Jimmy's post dated 11/29/2010 11:53:01 AM
The WiFi only iPad does not have GPS. The WiFi+3G ipad does have GPS.
The WiFi only gets it's position from the WiFI network.
I messed upp and bought the WiFi only model so no GPS unless I Jailbreak the ipad and add an app to read bluetooth data from an external GPS. A little work but possibly worth it. Do a google on Ipad and GPS for more info.

Marco Polo
02/21/2011
10:04:44 AM
Ipad GPS enabled
The iPad with (wi-fi + 3G) has GPS. If you have the wifi only iPad, then you will not have GPS.
See the apple link for tech specs. http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

thom
03/04/2011
11:51:53 AM
gps Reply to liriks's post dated 6/16/2010 11:44:07 AM
Your Ipad and iphone do NOT have real GPS. The ipad does NOT receive signals from satellites. It receives signals from either wifi or cell towers and it uses triangulation [geometric calculation] to figure out where you are. I assure you that if you are outside the range of a cell tower [out in the country, in the mountains], you will NOT get any help in finding where you are.

It is disengenuous [dishonest] for Apple to call this "GPS." Some android phones have real GPS. This require HARDWARE that receives satellite signals.

Best wishes.

brandon
03/05/2011
12:02:21 AM
this contradicts everything that everyone else is saying... Reply to O'Ren's post dated 11/10/2010 1:54:23 AM
you don't have a 3g version but youre using tom tom?

millsource
03/07/2011
11:01:28 PM
iphoe gps Reply to thom's post dated 3/4/2011 11:51:53 AM
sorry to disagree, but I just used iphone 4 with sim card removed and navionics app to navigate from east coast US to the Caribbean with no problem.

gerry
03/27/2011
07:11:20 PM
I phone and Ipad GPS
Please tell me if I am 2000 miles out in the Atlantic can I use GPS(satellites)
or is this just using triangulation from radio masts.I am thinking of buying one for marine use only to replace my chartplotter.
Gerry

garthwight
04/05/2011
12:04:34 AM
iPad GPS Reply to thom's post dated 3/4/2011 11:51:53 AM
Hi there,
I have the iPad 3G WiFi 64GB model. I would like to correct your incorrect information. I use my iPad in a commercial jetliner without the Sim card installed, it works perfectly, picks up between 9 and 12 Satelites every time.
I compare the navigation position of my iPad and our onboard Nav/GPS system and they are identical, speed, height and Long/Lat.

Mary Zhao
05/06/2011
03:38:20 AM

I think it is used over the cell network not actual GPS, I purchase form Tomtop.com. More you can visit: http://www.tomtop.com

bigboy
06/02/2011
08:57:27 AM
GPS on Ipad Reply to Glen's post dated 3/4/2010 7:08:41 PM
Glen, try to think outside your little world of walking and driving, there are other modes of travel!!!

DNDistribution2011
06/24/2011
04:01:31 PM
iPad and iPad2 waterproof hard case
Hi, for those of you seeking protection to use your iPad as a navigation device on your boat or to go to the beach, we offer two brand of waterproof, dust proof and impact proof hard cases.

Take a look at: www.ipad-waterproof-case.com

Dan
DNDistribution2001

purplelegs
07/04/2011
09:25:19 PM
ipad/macbook air/or garmin?
Hi. We have just begun boating again, after an 8 yr hiatus and love the iPhone Navionics app so far. But want a bigger screen. Can't decide whether to get an iPad, a MacBook Air or a regular garmin type navigation system. We plan to boat in Georgian Bay, Ontario Canada. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. It's great not having my head in paper charts!

Chapus marc
04/11/2012
12:10:04 AM
New App for sailors
Hello,

Here is a helpful application for sailors : "WCC World Cruising Calendar.

Planning long passages has never been easier. WCC is the alternative multimedia to the Pilot Charts.
Find the routes most frequently used by sailing boats for specific months of the year. WCC schematizes information usually found in books.
Stay in contact with sailing friends and know their position. With WCC you can choose to show the position of your automatically. When a friend enters the name of your boat, it's position will then be indicated on the chart.
You can make public announcements on your wall. This function will be known as Skip'in Touch and will be a front runner of what will become THE navigators social network.

This unique application will be useful to sailors planning a voyage as well as those already on their way.
It will be available on the iTunes Apps-store for $9.99 USD

Follow this link: http://itunes.apple.com/app/id507627754

Thank you for transmitting this message to your readers.

Marc Chapus

John hegburg
02/25/2013
06:26:07 PM
Gps
Can I connect my Hand held Garmin GPSmap 60CSx GPS to my iPad for navigating.

batteryselling
08/05/2013
03:01:12 AM
External Back-up Battery Charger for iPhone iPod
2800mAh External Back-up Battery Charger for iPhone iPod

Specifications:
Capacity: 2800mAh
Input Voltage: DC 4.8V-5.2V Max 700mA
Output Voltage: 5V 500mA

http://www.batteryselling.com/2800mah-external-backup-battery-charger-for-iphone-ipod-p276.html

1  |
Related Forums   
garmin 396 screen replacement
anyone know if its possible to replace the screen on a 396 unit? Can I buy one and replace it myself or is it a job to ...
Battery isn't holding a charge
I have my Nuvi 350 is not working when i plug it into the wall but works well into the car 12v and hold a charge. I ...
GPS Nuvi Garmin 650
I am looking for a free update of the maps of North America for my Nuvi Garmin 650. Thanks
TomTom leap year bug
Today it was announced that TomTom has "leap year bug" and it is causing satellite GPS navigation devices to ...
HTC Touch GPS
Also, HTC Touch has GPS enabled in it and if anyone updated map on HTC Touch I would also appreciate your explanation ...
Garmin Streetpilot c550, Car adapter
I was using my GPS unit and it shut off in my car, and wouldn't turn back on. I looked adapter at the car unit and ...
More
Post Your Response
Your Name:*
LoginRegister
Subject:*
Type Message:*