Logo
  Saturday, September 28, 2024
Sign-In  |  Sign-Up  |  Contact Us  |  Bookmark 

Garmin GPS 60 - Centrelines etc Between Waypoints   
Hi All.

I recently purchased a Garmin GPS 60.

I have a couple of questions and hope that someone may be able to help me here.

I purchased the GPS to record the location of each of the 360 electricity transmission line tower sites our company is constructing (360 sites over 80+ km's).

Using MapSource, I created a test "route" reflective of a section of electricity transmission line (tower locations). I uploaded this to the device and out in the field today, it was easy to can navigate to tower sites I had marked up.

However, for the electricity line we are expected to clear a path of 45 metres along the entire length of the line of the electricity transmission line (extending out to 22.5 metres on each side of the centreline).

Out in the field, it is sometimes difficult to stand in between two tower sites (called a span) and estimate the centreline as well as the outer extents of the easement (and thus determine what trees need to be felled, whether the outer edge extends over a particular property etc etc).

Is there a way, using MapSource, I can create a centreline that connects each tower site along the entire length of the line as well as the 2 external boundaries of the line (being 22.5 metres on each side), and the upload this to the GPS so that when I am in the field, it will be very easy to determine what is in the easement, and what falls outside the easement.

Secondly, is there anyway on MapSource to upload an entire data set of GPS co-ordinates (tower sites), rather then have to manually enter and name each waypoint for the entire 'route'? I have an spreadsheet that has the GPS co-ordinates for each tower site (as well as other ancillary spreadsheets / data sets that have GPS co-ordinates for other items of interest such as waterway crossings, heritage sites, gates etc etc). As mentioned, I have 360+ waypoints to mark up and I will be manually punching in this info for quite some time I would imagine.

Any help on either of these questions would be greatly appreciated. The manual is not overly helpful and I have tried searching the net however as I am not fully conversant with GPS technology, I was not able to describe my issue.

Thanks, technologistau.

ps - I am not IT illiterate, just not up to speed with GPS.

Post Response 
1  |
Related Forums   
Mio P360 and Mio P560 units coming soon.
This new is just in, Mio is preparing to launch two more PDA type of GPS units. We should expect battle for HandHeld ...
Lowrance AirMap 600c
I had a great hope on Lowarnce Airmap 600c, device which bought for myself. Its features and capabilities are ...
GPS Maps of India for TomTom GO 910
I have a TomTom GO 910 4-Inch Portable GPS Navigator which has preloaded maps of US, Canada & Europe. Since im on a ...
Uploading Address Files
How do I upload NUVI 350 address book, to Address Book of NUVI 3760T? Thanks...
My Garmin 750 Problem
I own a Garmin Nuvi 750. The problem with my device is that it does not display the current road being driven other ...
TomTom ONE 140S Forum
TomTom ONE 140S is a badget GPS device from TomTom with few features missing but overall it is a good GPS NAvigator. If ...
More
Post Your Response
Your Name:*
LoginRegister
Subject:*
Type Message:*